As published in Scotsman Guide's Residential Edition, July 2008.
Becoming a top-producing loan officer is not easy. There is a lot of competition, and with the tighter economy, the race is even more difficult. To reach the head of the pack, you must be persistent.
There are seven steps that can help you reach the top of your industry. Most can help you in other areas of your life, as well.
1. Create a method. Start with a list of goals or achievements that you desire for your life and your career. Lay out a schedule for each goal.
Then make an action plan to guide each day's activities. This will help streamline your daily schedule. Tighten each item on your schedule so that you make the most efficient use of each moment.
2. Change your attitude. If you expect to be No. 1, you'll have a better chance of achieving it. The mental image you have of yourself and of your abilities will take you a long way -- or keep you back. I believe that 98 percent of success is mental.
Write your goals in statements that start with positive phrases: "I will," "I am" or "I have," for example. Repeat these statements to yourself every day. Mean what you say, and envision yourself reaching the position that you desire.
3. Keep your workspace organized. It should be easy for you to find exactly what you need when you need it. This will save you time and energy.
File at the end of every day -- and even periodically during the day. And clear your desk each night before leaving. It will give you a clean environment to return to, and it will help you be prepared for unexpected early meetings.
Your office should also present a calm and professional tone to the people who visit. Be sure that the reception area is clutter-free. Remove any stacks of items around the office.
4. Stay focused on your goal. Avoid distractions that can detract you from becoming No. 1. Don't be concerned about landing the "perfect" lead list. Be more concerned about using the leads you have and following the method you laid out.
Make efficient use of what you have to get to where you want to be. See obstacles as opportunities.
5. It's all about you. Your success depends on your actions. You must make an effort and do what needs to be done every day. Avoid making excuses, and try to reach beyond the point you found yesterday. Always strive to do more.
6. Work smart. By keeping a schedule and staying organized, you can ensure that you do everything you need and that you still have time to relax and recharge. To help, make a to-do list of what needs to be done in your business. Estimate the amount of time each item will take. Set aside time for each daily task, as well as time throughout the week for larger tasks.
7. Stay positive. No matter what challenges may arise in your business, a positive spirit will pull you through. If customers change their minds about a sale, then take that decision as a positive: It could be a chance for you to find an even better match for them. Or you can view it as a learning opportunity about what you should do differently in the future.
At the end of each day, write down all the positive and uplifting things that happened to you. It will help you to focus on the good of every day.
Becoming No. 1 depends on your actions and your activities. If you take these steps, you can find your way to the top.
Brad Cooper is a
nationally recognized mortgage expert and mortgage coach. He has helped thousands of families while compiling more than 16 years of mortgage experience. His blend of customer care, financial expertise and experience is the driving force behind his success. Cooper is excited to share his experience and passion with other loan officers and to help them reach their maximum potential in everyday business and life. Visit www.loanofficerpublicity.com/freedvd or contact Cooper at email@example.com.